We are receiving a large number of enquiries about this Saturday’s Sandycove Island Challenge. Please see the above message from the organisers of the swim, Cork Masters. The swim is full, entries are closed, and no amount of begging or pleading or knowing the right person will get you in at this stage. You need to enter early for these events, a couple of days before is not the time to be thinking about signing up.
If you are already registered and you have questions about the swim please direct them to Cork Masters on their Facebook page.
There are still some more events planned over the next few weeks, these have been listed on the calendar (Munster_Open_Water_Event_Calendar_V.9_September2017), but here is the quick links below:
Sat 9th Sept – Gouganne Barra – Cork – 2.5k/4k – Entry LINK
Sun 10th Sept – Sean O’Sullivan Swim – Clare – 1.5k/3k/5k – Entry LINK
Sun 10th Sept – Blennerville to Fenit – Kerry – 3k/8k – Entry LINK
Sat 16th Sept – Sandycove Challenge – Cork – 1.8k – Entry LINK
Sat 30th Sept – Skerking to Baltimore – West Cork – 2k – Entry LINK
Sat 14th Oct – Spanish Island – West Cork
Sat 28th Oct – Vampire Swim – Myrtleville
By the Way, YES, there will be Turkey Swims on each of the weekends in November and December, start practicing your Baking!! 🙂 Dates to follow soon…
Following on from my July post on upcoming swims, I have updated the calendar with entry links to some of the swim that I may have not had before.
Open the Calendar link to check out all the details you need, but here is a snipit of some upcoming events in next few weeks:
Wed 9th Aug – 7pm – Deel Swim, Askeaton – 2.5k – Enter via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sat 12th Aug – 6pm – GADD Glengarrif – 1/3/5/7k – Enter via website HERE
Sat 12th or 19th Aug – Kilkee Bay Swim, Clare – 4pm – 2.5k – TBC
Sun 20th Aug – Malbay Swim, Clare – 10.30am – 1+2k – Enter HERE
Sat 2nd Sept – Saltees, Wexford – 12noon – 4k – Enter HERE
Sat 2nd Sept – Ardgroom, West Cork – 2pm – 4k – Enter via UPDATED LINK
Check out the calendar for the rest of Sept and Oct events, still more to come!.
PS – if you have an event you want added to the calendar, please email me and I’ll add it for next issue (done monthly), email@example.com Thanks. 🙂
As we are officially in summer months, there are plenty of upcoming swims to choose from, full list through to October on the calendar page, but here is a snipit of the July events. Remember to book your place if you know you want to swim, most events have limits on entries.
Sat 8th July – Thomond Swim – 6.15pm – 1.8k – Website Entry Link
Thurs 13th July – Myrtleville Swim – 7.00pm – 2.0k – Active Link
Sat 15th July – Champion of Champions – 9.00am – 1/3/5miles – Active Link
Sun 16th July – Inchydoney Swim – 3.30pm – 500m/1k/2k – Primo Link
Sat 22nd July – Lee Swim – 3.30pm – 2.0k – Primo Link
Sat 29th July – Courtmacsherry Swim – 11.30am – 1.5 & 3.0k – Active link here
Sun 30th July – Union Hall Swim – 10.30am – 1k & 3k – Online Link
Páraic Casey’s Summer Solstice Swim:
Wednesday 21st June @ 6pm, Sandycove Island
We’d like to invite you to remember and celebrate a very much loved and missed fellow Sandycove Island swimmer, and beloved husband of Riana Parsons.
His passion for swimming brought him to amazing places. We would like to celebrate his great achievements and passion for life, with a swim round the Island followed by some cake, which he often did too.
BBQ’d meat, buns and condiments will be provided, but if you want to bring some food to be BBQ’d yourself then please do (we will not have veggie/vegan/gluten free options – please bring these to be cooked if you wish, it’s not a bother).
All salads, cake and drinks (hot and cold) are welcome, so bring plenty!
TITW @ 6.30pm
Sandycove Island Swimming Club
Hi All –
I am attaching the updated version of the Munster Swim Events Calendar for 2017.
- Most events have max limits, so may close entries before the date, do not wait until last minute to sign up, if you know you are going to a swim, or think you want to do a swim, then enter to have your place.
- Most events do not allow sign ups on the day, waves/merchandise/logistics/food may have to be arranged before the day.
- It takes a lot of behind he scenes admin/time/effort to put on Events, please respect the volunteers who give up time to do the best they can for an event, of which majority are run for some local charity.
- If you find yourself unable to swim, your entry fee usually goes to the Charity, refunds are very rare.
- If you can not swim an event (due to limits/illness etc), please ask the orgainser if they need volunteers on the day. There are MANY jobs to be covered on the day of a swim, please step forward, everyone has to start someone with learning the ropes of an event.
- This year the calendar is looking great, many options, over many distances, from mid May to mid October, if you are thinking of putting on an event, let me know, between myself and Ned and a few other seasoned organisers, we will help guide you on what needs to be done. Its all about sharing the load.
- And finally, remember to swim smart and swim safe, if in doubt, don’t swim.
May Madness – yes it’s here. Open Water Swim Events are starting 🙂
SAT 6th MAY – Darkness in Light Swim for Pieta House, 4:45am Myrtleville (See Full details HERE).
SUN 14th MAY – Bulman Swim, New date, Sunday 14th at 5.30pm. NO Sign ups on the day, all swimmers must have pre-registered online before Friday. You must be a member of a swim Ireland Club to swim in this event, full details are on Active HERE.
SAT 20th MAY – Dunmore East Swim, Co Waterford. 12:15 swim, 2 distances available. Full Details of the event and entry links are HERE.
So get signing up, commit and get acclimatizing, start with short swims to get used to the temps, and build up your tolerance and distances. DO NOT LET AN EVENT BE YOUR FIRST SWIM IN THE SEA THIS SEASON. S A F E T Y F I R S T.
See you in the sea 🙂 Embrace the fresh air.