The Sandycove Ireland Swim Club is a Swim Ireland affiliated “open water club of convenience” for adult competent open water swims based in Munster or who wish to swim in Munster open water events. The club was set up in the summer of 2010.
For most of the Munster OW swims, participants need to be a member of a Swim Ireland club (in the ‘competitor’ status). The Sandycove Island Swim Club was set up to accommodate swimmers who wanted to swim in these events, but who were not part of a swim club and so did not have Swim Ireland membership. (As an aside: belonging to a Triathlon Ireland club does not meet the insurance requirements, and sorry, but we can not sell a one-day license for the swims)
Club Leadership Team for 2014-2015:
Chairperson – David Merriman
Treasurer – Ned Denison
Secretary – Angela Harris
Other members of the Club Leadership Team: Carol Cashell, Roisin Lewis, Eoin O’Riordan, Lisa Cummins and Gordan Adair.
Joining the Club:
Club membership is open to anyone aged 18 or older who has done an open water swim of at least 1,500m in Ireland (or similar temperature waters) since July 2013. This can be wetsuit or togs and could have been the Lee Swim, a Sandycove Island lap, Olympic Triathlon, etc.
If you haven’t swum a mile in the last year (or so) to meet the criteria – then we can’t take your membership (for safety reasons). Go get in shape and build up to your mile qualifier and we’ll be happy to have you join.
In Ireland over the next year, there will be more than 100,000 open water swims of 800m or longer. The vast majority of these will be a small group deciding to meet at a certain time and going for a swim. Locations like Sandycove Island, Inniscarra, Lough Ine and Myrtleville in Cork see large groups gathering for regular swims, and groups of triathletes will often train as a club. Then we have some mass participation swims like the ‘Vibes & Scribes’ Lee Swim and ‘The Edge Sports’ Sandycove Island Challenge. NONE of these require a swimmer to join a Swim Ireland Club for insurance reasons…and there are some super swims out there – ENJOY!
There are about 95 events which are insured by Swim Ireland during the peak open water period – about 35 of these in Munster. They range from:
- 1.6km Ballincollig Swim
- 16 km Cork to Cobh
- 7km Around Beginish
- 2km River Blackwater
For these swims – you have to be a currently registered (at least a week before the event) as a competitive member (it is a class of membership – it doesn’t mean you have to race) of a Swim Ireland (or an international FINA) club. It doesn’t matter if you belong to a Tri Club, used to belong to Cork Masters, swam 5 years ago in the event without belonging to a Swim Ireland club or have been training all winter in the pool.
They are not our rules – so please either sign up or don’t swim. The committee have taken enough abuse about membership – so please spare us more abuse!
PLEASE DO NOT ASK: WHY…?
Simple: Swim Ireland doesn’t want to insure you if you don’t belong and, probably more importantly, belonging to a club increases the chance you can swim safely. In addition, we organisers don’t want to put our houses on the line if someone gets hurt. Finally, more and more, the volunteers (like the person who brings a safety boat) also doesn’t want to put his house on the line.
So, if you want to take part in these swims – join a swim club affiliated with Swim Ireland as a competitive member. We are DELIGHTED if you join a club other than Sandycove Island. We formed as a club of convenience not ego…and frankly the work to take a new membership can be heavy.
If it is Sandycove Island Swim Club you want to join then:
- Email Ned Denison (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your open water experience and get pre-approval for membership.
- Download the Swim Ireland membership form here (right-click on the link, choose ‘Save link as’ or ‘Save target as’ and save the form to your computer). Complete the form, save it and email it to Ned (do NOT press the ‘Submit’ button). Then print, sign and scan it and also email the scanned version to the same address. If you need to post the signed version back, please email Ned for details. So you email back TWO FORMS please.
- To pay for membership, click HERE and purchase one of the two membership options:
– Annual membership (runs from 15 October 2014 to 14 October 2015) : €50 – Social Membership (no swim Irl Number, non competitor) : €5
- Swimmers who are 65 or older as of 15 October 2014 may join the Sandycove Island Swim Club for €0 fee – provided that they have evidence of a 1 mile cold water swim in the previous 6 months.